Chinese Elm: Popular & Beautiful Beginner Bonsai tree.
The Chinese Elm, scientifically known as Ulmus parvifolia, is a great starting point for beginners venturing into the world of bonsai. Its popularity is well-deserved, given its lush canopy of small, proportioned leaves and gracefully swaying S-curved trunk that can mimic the look of an aged tree at a young age.
Chinese Elms are beloved by both novices and professionals in the bonsai community, and it's easy to see why:
- Aesthetic appeal: The tree's elegance and beauty, coupled with its delicate branches that can be trained into various shapes, make it a favorite among bonsai enthusiasts
- Low maintenance: The plant is hardy and adaptable, able to thrive in various growing conditions, making it an ideal choice for beginners or those with little experience
- Long lifespan: With proper care, Chinese Elm bonsai trees can live for centuries, making them an excellent long-term investment.
Choose Your Tree Size: Each tree is unique so these are approximate ages and dimensions.
- Small Chinese Elm - 5 Years Old, 6-10" Tall
- Medium Chinese Elm - 8 Years Old, 10-14" Tall
- Large Chinese Elm - 12 Years Old, 16-20" Tall
One caveat for new buyers is that the Chinese Elm may shed 60-80% of its leaves during shipping, which is entirely normal. The leaves will grow back in a few weeks, depending on the season, and the tree will be a flourishing beauty again.