Chinese Elm: Popular & Beautiful Beginner Bonsai tree. Includes Ceramic Pot and Ideal for Indoors
A Perfect Tree to get started with
The Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia) is one of the most popular bonsai trees in the world - and for good reason! With its lush canopy of small proportioned leaves and gorgeous swaying S-curved trunk, it can look like an aged tree at a relatively young age.
Chinese Elms are perfect for beginners and loved by Bonsai professionals. If you're looking for an entry point into Bonsai, it's hard to do better than a Chinese Elm.
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy, Chinese Elms is a 2 or 3.
1. It needs good sunlight, near a window. Not on a TV or hallway.
2. Buy the humidity tray now, you’ll need it. There are drainage holes on the bottom of the ceramic pot. Water drains out. The humidity tray will protect your furniture and add humidity to the tree when the water evaporates.
3. It’s a tree. It will grow. You will be pruning this tree regularly to maintain its shape. You’ll also need to fertilize the tree. If you want to save on shipping fees, buy the starter kit. It includes fertilizer, shears, a care booklet, wire, and a little figurine for your tree.
Wait, you should also read this important note:
- One thing new buyers should be aware of: The Chinese Elm will shed 60-80% of its leaves during the shipping process. This is completely normal! The leaves will grow back, don't worry. It will typically take a few weeks (depending on the season), and then you'll have a beautiful and thriving Chinese Elm.
· Small Chinese Elm - 5 Years Old, 6-10" Tall
· Medium Chinese Elm - 8 Years Old, 10-14" Tall
· Large Chinese Elm - 12 Years Old, 16-20" Tall
Why Buy From Bonsai Outlet? These days seems like everyone is selling Chinese Elms – Even Big Box stores that are unaware of how to care for them.
We have expert bonsai people – it’s all we do!
We travel to Japan, China, and throughout the USA importing or acquiring bonsai trees. These Chinese Elms, for example, are imported directly from China. They’re imported bare-root, then re-established into the soil and ceramic containers. After a couple of months, roots grow into the new soil, and they’re ready for their forever homes.
Ask the Big Box Store where their bonsai came from. If the bonsai roots are established. Ask them for care instructions.
Important Shipping Information
· Like you, every Bonsai tree is unique. The tree you receive may not look exactly like the one pictured. The Ceramic Pot will be selected by us to pair with the tree.
· We cannot ship to a P.O. Box or to locations in Alaska, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or anywhere internationally.
· All Bonsai trees are shipped UPS ground direct from the nursery, and “could” ship separately from other items purchased.
· Bonsai are “usually” shipped on Mondays and Tuesdays to avoid being held in transit over weekends.
· If extreme weather is expected, we may delay shipping your Bonsai tree to guarantee a healthy arrival. We will contact you directly if this is the case.
Maybe, but probably not. Kids and pets are much harder to keep alive, so if you’ve ever had one of them you’ll be fine. Most Bonsai we sell need little more than sun & water.
Yes there are, and you can find them HERE
We ship daily. However, trees to the west coast ship on Mondays or Tuesday to avoid being held in-transit over the weekend. Shipments of Trees are released on Mondays and Tuesdays only to avoid being held in-transit over weekends.
Yes, once your Bonsai ships you’ll get an email with a FedEx tracking number that you’ll be able to use on their website to see exactly when your tree will arrive.
Your Bonsai will arrive potted in a ceramic Bonsai pot that will compliment your tree and right off the bat that’s all you’ll need. If you’re looking for the basics beyond that, a Starter Kit and Humidity Tray are an excellent place to start.