Chinese Elm: Popular & Beautiful Beginner Bonsai tree. Includes Ceramic Pot and Ideal for Indoors
The Chinese Elm, scientifically known as Ulmus parvifolia, is a great starting point for beginners venturing into the world of bonsai. Its popularity is well-deserved, given its lush canopy of small, proportioned leaves and gracefully swaying S-curved trunk that can mimic the look of an aged tree at a young age.
Chinese Elms are beloved by both novices and professionals in the bonsai community, and it's easy to see why:
- Aesthetic appeal: The tree's elegance and beauty, coupled with its delicate branches that can be trained into various shapes, make it a favorite among bonsai enthusiasts.
- Low maintenance: The plant is hardy and adaptable, able to thrive in various growing conditions, making it an ideal choice for beginners or those with little experience in bonsai cultivation.
- Long lifespan: With proper care, Chinese Elm bonsai trees can live for centuries, making them an excellent long-term investment.
One caveat for new buyers is that the Chinese Elm may shed 60-80% of its leaves during shipping, which is entirely normal. The leaves will grow back in a few weeks, depending on the season, and the tree will be a flourishing beauty again.
At Bonsai Outlet, we source our bonsai trees from Japan, China, and all over the United States. Our Chinese Elms are imported directly from China, shipped bare root, then re-established into ceramic containers with soil. After a few months, they're ready for their new homes.
Unless you’re experienced, don’t buy your Bonsai Tree from a Big Box Store. While you may think you're saving money, big box stores often have no idea where their bonsai trees come from or how to properly care for them.
With Bonsai Outlet, you'll receive expert advice and guidance on how to care for your tree, ensuring it stays healthy and thriving for years to come.
Tree Features and Estimated Ages
- Small Chinese Elm - 5 Years Old, 6-10" Tall
- Medium Chinese Elm - 8 Years Old, 10-14" Tall
- Large Chinese Elm - 12 Years Old, 16-20" Tall
Important Shipping Information
· Like you, every Bonsai tree is unique. The tree you receive may not look exactly like the one pictured. The Ceramic Pot will be selected by us to pair with the tree.
· We cannot ship to a P.O. Box or to locations in Alaska, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or anywhere internationally.
· All Bonsai trees are shipped UPS ground direct from the nursery, and “could” ship separately from other items purchased.
· Bonsai are “usually” shipped on Mondays and Tuesdays to avoid being held in transit over weekends.
· If extreme weather is expected, we may delay shipping your Bonsai tree to guarantee a healthy arrival. We will contact you directly if this is the case.
Will I Kill It?
Maybe, but probably not. Kids and pets are much harder to keep alive, so if you’ve ever had one of them you’ll be fine. Most Bonsai we sell need little more than sun & water.
Are there specific Care Guides available for each species?
Yes there are, and you can find them HERE
When will my Bonsai ship?
We ship daily. However, trees to the west coast ship on Mondays or Tuesday to avoid being held in-transit over the weekend. Shipments of Trees are released on Mondays and Tuesdays only to avoid being held in-transit over weekends.
Can I track my Bonsai?
Yes, once your Bonsai ships you’ll get an email with a FedEx tracking number that you’ll be able to use on their website to see exactly when your tree will arrive.
Do I need anything else to start an adventure in Bonsai?
Your Bonsai will arrive potted in a ceramic Bonsai pot that will compliment your tree and right off the bat that’s all you’ll need. If you’re looking for the basics beyond that, a Starter Kit and Humidity Tray are an excellent place to start.