The Complete Chinese Elm Experience: Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree, Tinyroots "Anti-Intimidation" Bonsai Starter Kit, and Humidity Tray with River Rocks
Chinese Elms are the Best Elm.
This magical holiday exclusive includes the following items:
Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree is a Glazed Ceramic Pot
Starter Kit with Essentials
Humidity Tray (aka furniture protector) with River Rocks
A couple of things to consider before purchasing:
- We love our plants and monitor the weather closely at this time of year. If we deem it to cold to ship we will reach out to you for alternative options.
- If you want us to hold the tree we can help you with that. But beware we will only be able to hold until December 12th (we ship trees on Mondays and Tuesdays). Shipping companies cannot guarantee a Christmas delivery after that date.
- If purchasing as a gift, remember you must take it out the box when you receive.
- As stated above, pot colors will vary. We only have certain amounts of certain colors. We will not be taking any special requests on the pot colors.
- Gift Wrapping is not available for this item
- Native to Southeast Asia and China, The Chinese Elm (or Ulmus parvifolia if you fancy) can grow up to 60 feet if left in its natural environment.
- Luckily for you, we've tamed and trained these mighty beasts, and they can be yours in the form on a beautiful Bonsai for a nominal fee.
- It’s one of our best sellers. The canopy is rounded and lush with small, shiny, leathery dark-green leaves that have tiny teeth running alongside each edge. The gorgeous trunk has an incredibly graceful swaying shape that helps it look exactly as Bonsai should ~ a miniature version of an age-old tree.
- Aesthetics aside, the Chinese Elm is also a perfect tree for beginners because it’s extraordinarily hardy, it has the unique ability to adapt to an indoor or outdoor environment and it’s both slow growing & tolerant. If I was to be so bold as to make a prediction, I'd say you're going to absolutely love it.
- So if you give one as a gift and the recipient ends up killing the tree, it's a pretty good indication that they shouldn't have children. If they already have children, take those children.
- You know you want one. There is one caveat with Chinese Elms - it's the price to pay to own one. They will shed 80% (or more) of their leaves during shipping. Please keep that in mind if you are gift giving.
About the Starter Kits:
Bonsai Survival Guide - More than just a book with pictures. This is a great little book that breaks down key information on cultivating Bonsai into easy-to-grasp tips. It was written in anticipation of the most frequently asked questions. It gives quick answers to all your questions in plain English. It's an excellent place to start for beginners and an invaluable pocket reference guide for the more experienced. This book is an icon in the Bonsai world.
Traditional Butterfly Bonsai Shears - The "Butterfly" shaped pruning shear is the most popular Bonsai tool on the market. They’re very easy to use, exceptionally powerful because of their unique design and have plenty of room in the handles to accommodate gloved fingers. When it comes to trimming roots, twigs and branches easily and precisely, Butterfly Shears are essential.
2 oz. Bottle of Uncle Bill's Bonsai Fertilizer(tm) - Uncle Bill’s Bonsai Brew is a 3-3-3, low dose year-round fertilizer that’s perfect for almost all species of bonsai and used on our very own Bonsai here at NEBG. Uncle Bill’s is water soluble and free of odor, which makes it particularly good for your indoor trees.
2 oz. Bottle of Uncle Bill's Bonsai Frit(tm) - FRIT contains over 28 vital trace elements and minerals that are essential to the health of your bonsai. This slow acting granular compound will gently release all the major and minor trace elements over a 12 month period. 30% of the compounds are soluble in the first hour. The remaining nutrients become available with the natural breakdown in the soil over the course of a year.
Aluminum Wire - Aluminum wire is used throughout the Bonsai world to shape and train early Bonsai trees. The Kit includes 4 feet of wire to point your Bonsai in the right direction so that it grows into the majestic Bonsai tree of your dreams.
Genuine Chinese Mud Figurine - No Bonsai tree is complete without an old-world figurine to add realism, authenticity and culture - not to mention good Karma. These figurines are extremely detailed and hand-made in China from refinded mud, then partly glazed and kiln fired. The specific figurine may vary. (Not all kits contain the same mudmen - They will vary)
About the Humidity Tray
Designed specifically to maintain moisture levels, which are absolutely critical for Bonsai trees. As the excess water in the tray evaporates, your tree will be surrounded by the humidity, and it’ll love you for it.
Each tray includes River Rocks or Sand (what you receive depends on which nursery it ships from), which are both functional and add to the general aesthetic of your Bonsai. The tray and rocks/sand can also be used for Cacti, Succulents or any other house plant.